The citizens of Vineland recognize the importance of the sacrifices made by the men and women who have and continue to serve in all our military services. From WW I to the current War on Terrorism, Vinelanders have never shied away from doing what is right for the good of others. Some gave their last full measure of devotion in doing so. All anyone needs to see is the beautiful monuments at Landis Park, dedicated to all who have served.
Therefore, it is only fitting that we continue to show our gratitude to those families who wish to participate in the Hometown Heroes Project. We want all who visit our city to know, Vineland appreciates their sacrifices.
Vineland City will proudly display a 30’’ by 36’ banner with the picture of a service member the family wishes to have displayed on the light posts on Landis Ave. Cost of the banner and hardware is $159.00 plus tax. Payable directly to Sir Speedy located at: 3033 South East Blvd. Vineland NJ 08360. You may call them at 856 691-0741.
The requirements for the displays are as follows:
- Person requesting a banner must prove the person whose picture is to be on the banner is/was a veteran:
- In accordance with Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations which defines a veteran as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged.
- Service member whose picture is to be displayed must have served in any of the five military services recognized by the United States Department of Defense. (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard).
- Service member whose picture is to be displayed must have been a Vineland resident at the time of service or have resided in Vineland after his/her service time.
- Picture to be displayed must be of the service member only, and in uniform. (Preferably in Dress Uniform) Picture to be displayed must be supplied by the applicant.
- Service member must have received a discharge classified as an Honorable Discharge or its equivalent.
- Must be verified by DD214 or DD215.
- All banners and supporting documents will be approved by the Vineland United Veterans Council.
- Cost of having the banner printed, with approved mounting hardware will be the applicant’s responsibility. The city will not bear any financial responsibility for the cost or maintenance of the banner. The city has agreed to have the banners mounted on the light post along Landis Ave. The city will not take reservations as to where on Landis Ave. the banner will be mounted. It will be on a first come first served basis.
- Vineland City will not be involved in any manner in collecting funds. All payments will be made by the applicant directly to Sir Speedy of Vineland located at: 3033 South East Blvd. Vineland NJ 08360. They may be reached at 856 691-0741, or by email at email@example.com
- Once the banner is printed, Sir Speedy will contact members of the United Veterans Council who will deliver the banner to Vineland City Hall.
- Vineland City will assign personnel to mount the banners at their discretion. Weather conditions, and other unforeseen factors may cause a delay in having the banner mounted.
- Please call Director of Public Safety / United Veterans Council President Edwin Alicea at 856 794-4000 Ext. 4207 or email: Ealicea@vinelandcity.org with any and all questions in reference to the Hometown Heroes Project.