The Municipal Land Use Law, N.J.S.A.40:55D, is the state statute that regulates land use in the State of New Jersey. The Zoning Division is responsible for the enforcement of this statute, as well as the enforcement of local zoning ordinances adopted by the City of Vineland. Duties of the Division include:
- To discover and ascertain the existence of any zoning violations.
- Investigate any alleged zoning violation.
- Prosecute zoning violations in Municipal Court as provided by law.
- Report to the Vineland Zoning Board of Adjustment with respect to matters before the Board when required.
- Review, inspect, and issue required zoning permits for residential and non-residential properties.
- Ensure compatibility of signage with surrounding land uses.
When considering changes to your property in the City of Vineland, you will most likely require both zoning and construction permits. The following is a general outline regarding when a permit from the zoning officer is required:
- Change of use – Residential, i.e. converting a garage to an office/ living space, an attic to a bedroom, or finishing off a basement.
- Change of use – Commercial, i.e. converting a building or unit from storage to retail or professional office.
- New residence.
- Any increase in height or square footage.
- Home additions including garages and barns, decks and gazebos, pools (including seasonal blow up pools exceeding 4′), and hot tubs.
- The installation of all signs.
- Certificate of Continued Occupancy.
This list is not all-inclusive. If the work you plan on doing is not listed above, it is your responsibility to contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections at (856) 794-4113 to confirm if a permit is required.
Click here to access City of Vineland interactive and static maps.